It's time: the end of Flying Islands Vanilla Servers

A place for old requests to be shelved once they're completed.

It's time: the end of Flying Islands Vanilla Servers

Postby Chrisknyfe » Tue May 07, 2013 5:43 am

Hi everyone,

Thank you, all of you, who have come and played on our creative and survival servers this past year and a half. It's been a lot of fun, and I'm really happy that I got to make friends with so many of you, but I have decided to end the public vanilla Flying Islands servers.

Download the survival server here: http://flyingislands.net/dumptruck/fina ... nt.torrent
Download the creative server here: http://flyingislands.net/dumptruck/fina ... nt.torrent

Download both servers AND old worlds here: http://flyingislands.net/dumptruck/FI-o ... ds.torrent

Reasons Why I'm Doing This: The Layer Cake of Drama
  • BUKKIT SUCKS: I want to experiment with new mods, and move away from bukkit. I'm tired of broken plugins caused by Mojang and Bukkit's incompetence. Bukkit is dying slowly, and should've been replaced by the modding API, but didn't, and might never be.
  • ADMINS ARE PEOPLE TOO: I am going to be 26 in July. I have no significant other, no job, and no hobbies that I can brag about anymore. (gods who writes this crap?) I need time and space to have a life of my own, before I get really old. Building this server brick by brick has been a lot of fun, sweat and tears, but I need to focus on my physical manifestation for a while. I get the impression that many of our admins also feel like they deserve a break from doing admin work, and just want to live their lives or have fun being players.
  • RANKS ARE TYRRANY: I'd rather we all play survival together as friends, instead of me being the admin telling all of you what to do. I am not the kind of person who derives satisfaction from authority.

Reasons Why It Will Be Okay
  • Our creative server isn't really all that different from many other creative servers out there; Trust me, you will find other servers that have similar features and rank structures. mc.lumiacraft.com is an example.
  • Our survival server is nice, but mostly it's just us admins and our friends that play on it. We never really advertised it that much, and while we had big plans for it, ultimately we just don't have the time to create an "adventure server". Getting pre-made adventure maps is better.
  • Just because the servers are going down does not mean we can't still be friends!

How The Shutdown Will Go
  1. First, we finish the skaia spawn contest. We'll have everyone vote on who had the best build, and we'll give the winner something nice, like a free steam game or something (I just played Fez, and it's great. Maybe I'll gift that out.) Type /warp skaiacontest, look at all the builds listed on the board, and vote for your favorite by making a ticket!
  2. Next, this Sunday 5/19, we'll have a great big end-of-the-world party at spawn. We'll pour ourselves a glass, chat about the ancient days, and talk about what new adventures lie ahead. The server will end for good at 8pm PST on Sunday 5/19.
  3. Lastly, I will stop the Flying Islands servers for the last time, and package them as a torrent on Piratebay that all of you will be able to download (see above!) You'll have access to all of creative, survival, and the ancient worlds from before each of the world wipes. It is my sincere hope that one of you may learn from the old files and build something great of your own someday.

What's Next?

Let's Keep In Touch!
  • My skype name is "toldyoualready"
  • My steam name is "chrisknyfe"
  • And I'll try to keep these forums up so we can get a hold of everyone if we ever make a new server. If not, I'll make a minecraft forum post announcing the new FI server. I'm thinking we might do a Feed The Beast whitelisted server. It will still be called "Flying Islands", so search for that in the future.
See which servers are available at flyingislands.net
Chrisknyfe
God

Re: It's time: the end of Flying Islands

Postby Chrisknyfe » Tue May 07, 2013 6:51 am

Sorry, 5/11 seemed too soon, so I moved it to 5/18.
Chrisknyfe
God

Postby PokeSonic01 » Wed May 08, 2013 10:53 pm

Hey, I just want to say, My server is survival, and its slowly becoming like Flying Island's Survival. If it is Okay with Zach, I could give you all the IP so you could at least still get a little satisfaction from F.I. Survival. And I have Zach helping me with it too, so it should someday be like F.I.
PokeSonic01
Citizen

Postby Chrisknyfe » Thu May 09, 2013 4:29 am

Sure, send me the IP. Alex and I are gonna make a list of recommended servers, we'll add yours to the list!
Chrisknyfe
God

Postby Unholypimpin » Thu May 09, 2013 10:18 pm

This is terrible news, made alot of cool friends on this server.
Unholypimpin
God

Postby Chrisknyfe » Fri May 10, 2013 9:54 pm

Changed end date to Sunday 5/19 because my cousin's baby shower is on Saturday.
Chrisknyfe
God

Re: It's time: the end of Flying Islands Vanilla Servers

Postby Chrisknyfe » Sat May 11, 2013 1:27 am

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1199 to discusss the new server.
Chrisknyfe
God

Postby sentientfungus » Mon May 13, 2013 7:40 pm

I can't believe I almost missed this. It's been a hell of a ride.
sentientfungus
Baron

Postby Chrisknyfe » Mon May 13, 2013 10:20 pm

Chrisknyfe
God

Postby Exclamator » Sat May 18, 2013 4:12 pm

The torrent appears to have no seeds

can you put it on a proper file host? I'd appreciate it

#YOLO