Flying Islands: Feed The Beast server

A place for old requests to be shelved once they're completed.

Flying Islands: Feed The Beast server

Postby Chrisknyfe » Sat May 11, 2013 1:22 am

Hi everyone,

As you know, FI creative and FI survival will close on 5/19. However, I'd like to start up a low-maintenance, whitelisted Feed The Beast server, and you're all invited! :D

Here's what I'm proposing so far:
---------------------------------
Code: Select all
-- What should the server be called?
Flying Islands: Magitech
Flying Islands Beast (beast.flyingislands.net)
Celestial Forge

-- How much ram should I give the server?
4 GB

-- What mods / items should I disable?
Anything that's a chunk loader?
   ChickenChunks Chunkloader
      allowoffline false for DEFAULT and OPS?
   Railcraft World Anchor disabled?
   buildcraft factory chunk loading (forgeChunkLoading.cfg)?

-- Backend features?
Ultimately we want:
- Hourly/Daily/Weekly/Monthly incremental backups (in case of glitches, we restore to the latest hour.)
- log rotation
- chowners

-- Rules of the server
Chat Rules: Don't harrass people (sexually or otherwise.)
Urbs Deorum  (Spawntown) Rules: Do not grief or raid other residents. You will be flayed, murdered and jailed.

Let's discuss it!

• Should we use the FTB modpack, or a different one?
  • What should the new server be called?
  • What items should be restricted?
  • Should there be any other changes to make gameplay more fair?
  • Would you live in the spawn village or make outposts elsewhere?
  • Should we load old worlds from creative and survival, and if so, which ones?
See which servers are available at flyingislands.net
Chrisknyfe
God

Re: Flying Islands: Feed The Beast server

Postby Complete_zero » Sat May 11, 2013 9:25 pm

Why dont we use Ultimate, but with extra MAGIC mods, like runic dust, and, if its not added, ars magica. Also, more weapons, so we could add Tconstruct, and possibly balkons weapons. Also, gulliver recently added a forge compatible version.
Those who dance are considered insane by those who cant hear the music-Anon
Sometimes gum looks like a penny.-Sally Wade
I will use my senile wizard powers on you!-Complete_zero
Nyanyanyan!-Nyan Cat
Complete_zero
Citizen

Postby Shadowlink1996 » Sat May 11, 2013 9:30 pm

Complete_zero wrote:Why dont we use Ultimate, but with extra MAGIC mods, like runic dust, and, if its not added, ars magica. Also, more weapons, so we could add Tconstruct, and possibly balkons weapons. Also, gulliver recently added a forge compatible version.

I agree with comp on the runic dust and ars magica, but I don't see the point in more weapons, FTB adds enough tools and weapons as it is.
This generic signature has been brought to you by Hyere
Shadowlink1996
Citizen

Postby PokeSonic01 » Sun May 12, 2013 2:02 am

Ultimate Modpack, Love that one, NO MODS/PLUGINS!!! Just keep it regular minecraft server, the way it was supposed to be. Name: Flying Islands F-T-B. Just 2 things i thought i would say
PokeSonic01
Citizen

Postby Chrisknyfe » Sun May 12, 2013 6:33 am

Balkons, no need imo.

Ars magica, isn't thaumcraft similar? Direwolf20's pack has Ars Magica, FTB has thaum.
Chrisknyfe
God

Re: Flying Islands: Feed The Beast Server

Postby Seanzito » Sun May 12, 2013 7:46 pm

I wanted to suggest the name of the server so i made a list.and vote the best name,to vote make a reply and say the number
1.[Creative]Skaia Paradise,[Survival]Island Of Skaia,2.[Creative]Flying Stars,[Survival],Flying Paradise,3.[Creative]High Islands,[Survival]High Universe,4.[Creative]New Era,[Survival]New Destiny,5.[Creative]Shiny Islands,[Survival]Lost Islands...
So thats all my suggestions,remember to vote
Example:
You Reading This Reply In Real: OH MY GOSH!!!!!!! NUMBER 1 IS THE BEST!!!!!!!!
Your Reply: I chosse .1
[News]The new series Stories of Flying Islands is cancelled because of the end of FI.
Seanzito
Citizen

Postby sentientfungus » Mon May 13, 2013 7:59 pm

I can't wait for this to happen-- at least for me, any modded server would be better than vanilla. That being said, if we do a custom pack, I'd like to plug the Technic Platform over FTB-- it's a lot slicker and more clear in my opinion than FTB. We don't have to use Tekkit or BigDig or Tekkit Lite or whatever, but imo it's a lot nicer. Honestly, regardless of the choice, I'll be playing again, as I've really missed playing with you all and my schedule is finally winding down now that AP testing is almost over.

Here is my opinion about what the "essential" mods are:
Industrial Craft 2
BuildCraft
Treecapitator
Metallurgy
RedPower
(some kind of magic)
WirelessRedstone
TubeStuff

Other than that, there are a lot of mods which would be nice to have--
MineFactory Reloaded
Thermal Expansion
EE3 (more for future than for now)
Forestry
Railcraft
Flat Bedrock
Applied Energistics
(a variety of IC2 expansions)

For the name, honestly, I'd just call it "Flying Islands." Nice, simple, and it respects the continuity of the server. I really don't like and of the "fancy" names-- I'd like it to still sound like it's associated with Flying Islands, and I don't think a "rebrand" is necessary.

As for restrictions-- yeah, anything that loads chunks. I don't really think there's much else to ban now that EE2 doesn't exist :P
Other than nukes. And anything related to DimensionalDoors or Mystcraft (if we don't do a custom pack; if we do, we just don't have these).

I would prefer to avoid "gameplay changes." If it's just our whitelisted base of friends and acquaintances, I don't think there's much of a need to "catch people up" or "slow people down." Most of the balance issues have been removed with EE2.

I would probably find a nice hill and build a castle on it or something. I think in technical modpacks it's difficult to live in a high density due to the "cost of living." Plus I'd love to set up a teleporter network.

I'd like it to be a blank slate in terms of world (s). I don't really see a necessity to add any worlds other than a basic one, either. I mean, sure, a skylands world is nice, but I don't really see it as a necessity.

I'm definitely looking forward to this!
sentientfungus
Baron

Postby Thadman95 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:52 am

Hey chris, whats up dude, it's been a while, I don't really know how to put this, but I don't seem to be whitelisted on your FTB server, also I cant seem to get the server download to work properly, it keeps downloading as a notepad file instead of a zip, anyways I just wanted to say hi, oh also, do I need to install any mods if I do join, if so tell me what I need, anyways see ya. :)
Thadman95
Citizen

Postby Thadman95 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:00 am

Hey Chris, whats up dude, I don't really know how to put this, but I don't seem to be whitelisted on the FTB server, and if I need any mods or modpacks for the server plz let me know, anyways I just wanted to say hi and that I really missed you guys, see ya :)
Thadman95
Citizen

Postby Chrisknyfe » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:38 am

odd, you should be whitelisted.
Chrisknyfe
God

Return to Archive